Thursday, February 1, 2007

I'd like a nice Christmas Pam, or at least some Pam chops

MY LIFE
My communications class has almost all the ingredients to be my own version of the Office. There's a crazy teacher (she started out as a naval officer, then became a clown, and finally settled on teaching) who often makes awkward comments - enter Michael Scott. There is also an incredibly boring class - enter mid level paper supply firm. And finally, a power-driven, uptight, socially-inept student...who sits beside me - enter Dwight (except, sadly, without the geekiness). We already know that I am like Jim, or at least aspire to be like Jim. Could it be I was destined to sign up for this class and live the part of Jim in reality? Unfortunately, not quite. I need a Pam. Whenever pseudo-Dwight says something ridiculous, I immediately give a perfectly executed Jim look - usually the half smile. But who should I give the look to? There is no camera, so that's not an option. I need Pam to share glances with, to make sure that someone else understood how amazingly stupid or funny pseudo-Dwight just was. I need Pam to help me prank pseudo-Dwight (let's call him Lou) . By the way, I do plan on pranking him sometime, with or without a Pam. Lou really might drive me crazy if I can't respond or react somehow. Hope is not lost however, though there is no one who can truly be a Pam replacement in that class, there are a couple girls who do understand some of the absurd moments. Hopefully, they will start to catch on to my need for my own personal Office reality.

THE OFFICE
There's an episode tonight, Ben Franklin. You should check it out. I'll be seeing it late because I am staying at the school for my break-dancing club (no, I can't break dance, I just like watching people who are good at it). NBC's episode description mentions Karen confronting Pam about her relationship with Jim. The rest of this season could very well hinge on this moment. Or the moment could at least influence the rest of the season. Or this moment could mean nothing, because the episode descriptions are very often misleading. If the conversation does go down, I present three theories on how it will go - wow, I am such a nerd sometimes.
1. What I wish would happen (win, win, win)
Karen asks Pam bluntly, "do you have feelings for Jim?" Pam pauses/stammers for a while, then gets an excuse to abandon the conversation, but Karen can tell the truth of it all. Notice the similitude between Karen's talk with Jim and this proposition? Ahhh, magnifique!
2. Worst-case scenario (lose, lose, lose)
Karen asks Pam, how she feels about Jim. Pam pauses for a while (letting Karen know the truth) then spouts out crap about them always being friends and nothing would ever happen between them - courageously sacrificing herself in order to save Jim's relationship. Then to pile on the hurt, Jim catches only the end of the conversation, and is heartbroken yet again.
3. A compromise (only a win, win)
Basically, a mix between number one and number two, without the wonderful similitude, and without the horrible heartbreak.
I believe that the next few episodes will have at least Jim and Pam suspecting that the other might like them. Yet, the show will need to keep the tension up so maybe Jim and Pam will have a fight, or something else will come between them, (Toby????????) so catch-22. I can't wait to see all my over-analyzed predictions fall apart later tonight! I'll post my thoughts on Ben Franklin - the episode, not the man - tomorrow.

No comments: